Sunday, November 19, 2006

Our First Snowfall in the Woodlands


First Snow-Fall

THE sun that dim November day
Had failed to kiss the clouds away
From quiet Nature's furrowed face,
Where autumn tears had left their trace.

And, by and by, on fields of brown
The feathered flakes came floating down
From Heaven to this world of ours,
Like spirits of departed flowers.

And fast and faster through the night,
Till Morn arose on meadows white,
And o'er the landscape lightly stepped
Where tired Nature, smiling, slept.

__Albert Bigelow Paine


In the early morn on November 13, I was awakened by Elliot with such a level of excitement in his voice I could not fathom what would be the cause of it in my sleepy state... "It snowed out Mom, come see quick... the trees are covered in snow, hurry look out your window! Can we go outside to play in it?"

It seemed the three oldest children were awake and the house already a hive of activity as they all anxiously lingered in the hall outside my bedroom door for my answer. I told them that they could go play outside before we began our school day. Then there was a scurry of activity in the entryway closet while they suited up in boots and snowgear to dash outside to experience the most magincal of snowfalls... the first one of the year.

First Snow
Mary Louise Allen

Snow makes whiteness where it falls,
The bushes look like popcorn balls.
The places where I always play,
Look like somewhere else today.


As I looked out my bedroom window for the first time that morning, I too could not be but impressed with the beautiful view all around our home. The trees covered with glistening, white snow that reached down to the ground and covered all beneath it in a restful slumber. It was breathtaking. I went from room to room looking out the windows admiring the lovely, still peacefulness outside that made me feel as if I were dwelling in a December calender scene, like the many I recall viewing in years gone by. Living as long as I have, both on a farm and in the city - I do not ever remember such a glorious winter site from my very own window! I could not help but send up a quick prayer of thanks to God for giving us such a wonderful home, in such a perfect place for our children to grow up. It is most definite that living here in the woodlands, you witness the beauty of God's creation magnificiently every day, of every season.

Great fun was had by all the kids and they ended up playing all morning outside and a bit in the early afternoon as well. A snowman was made, snowballs were thrown, sleds were unpacked and giddyness abounded. Additionally, moose tracks were discovered in the front yard, or so the kids are convinced, and they had the MN animal track identification guide out to show me how they reached their conclusions (I think it was a rabbit myself).

After their time in the white world outside had ended, hot cinnamon tea was served to warm chilly bones and the business of school work commenced. Sadly, by the days end nearly all the beautiful snow had disappeared, and the remainder was gone by the following day... now being only a faint memory as they patiently await the arrival of December snow whose blanket will cover the forests and spend the winter with us... and then some. Who knows maybe it will be a Christmas snow?

I don't know about you, but the first snow of the season always brings the words of Jimmy Durante, the narrator in the classic cartoon Frosty the Snowman. His words still chime in my memory and bring a warm glow to my heart after all these years....

"I supose it all started with the snow, you see it was a very special kind of snow. A snow to make the happy happier and the giddy even giddier. A snow to make a homecoming homier, and natural friends enemies. For it was the first snow of the season and as any child can tell you, there's a certain magic to the very first snow, especially when it falls on the day before Christmas. For, when the first snow is also a Christmas snow.... well, something wonderful is bound to happen..."

** The photo included in this entry was taken from our deck.

No comments: