Thursday, December 21, 2006

The Christmas Shoes


Since childhood I have adored Christmas songs from all kinds of music styles. My mother played holiday records throughout the holiday season and I still remember many of the album covers, music artists and song selections I adored. Since reaching adulthood I have formed my own collection of tapes and CD's that our family enjoys, and we add to it yearly. Through all of these years there have been many songs that I have loved, and many that have touched my heart or made me shed a tear the first listen, but never have I been so affected emotionally as by the song, "The Christmas Shoes".

I first heard "The Christmas Shoes" by Newsong a few years ago on the radio. I was working in the kitchen and had the radio tuned to a 24 hour Christmas song station. I was only half listening, but when the song began, something grabbed my attention and I went to increase the volume. I literally stood there frozen, listening to the song while a wave of emotion rose inside me, then cascaded down my cheeks. Never had a Christmas song stirred such a response in me. Was it because I was a mother with young sons? Was it the way the song was performed? Or simply was it the beautiful, eloquent way it expressed the love this boy felt for his mother, and his understanding that he would soon be parted from her until they met in heaven? It was probably all three.

Like the first time, and everytime since, when I hear the song my heart aches, my eyes swell and I cannot speak. The song has not lost it's impact on me, I have not grown accustomed to it's message in any way. My children are the same. When the song comes on the radio, or is being played - wherever they are and whatever they are doing, they stop and they listen. I can see the emotion rise up in them as well. While it may not be a song about the birth of Jesus, it is a song about the love and hope those who know and love Jesus hold in their hearts - even the youngest heart, and how that power can influence others for the good.

Last year I learned of a movie that had been made based on the song and the original book itself (from which the song had been created). The kids piano teacher had a copy and lent it to us. The kids and I watched it and enjoyed it very much - of course all knowing the ending from the very start. Mike came home a few minutes from the end to find all of us motionless in front of the screen and blurry eyed with tears.

This year I decided to read the book. I must admit, this is a totally backwards approach for me (I always read the book before the movie - family rule), but previous years I just had not felt up to what I knew would be a massive, emotionally draining reading experience. This year I was ready, so about a month ago I checked it out from the library and read it in one sitting after everyone in the house was alseep. As I predicted I cried nearly thoughout the book and was in full gasping sob mode by the ending chapters. Christopher came up to get a drink of water at this point and asked me what was the matter. I simply showed him the cover of the book and he immediately understood. The next day he expressed interest in reading it. I told him "no", I felt it was better a story to be read aloud as a family - so it's scheduled to be read Christmas season 2007 (just can't do it twice this year!).

I was pleased to discover that both the book and the film carried the same beautiful messages as the song which I have grown to love so much. There are differences between the book and film - sometimes I liked one better than the other, but they were both very good.

If you are looking for a story that truly grips the heart - this is such a story indeed.

Listen to the Song or Watch the Music Video

Film info or Book Info

The Christmas Shoes
by Newsong

It was almost Christmas time, there I stood in another line
Tryin' to buy that last gift or two, not really in the Christmas mood
Standing right in front of me was a little boy waiting anxiously
Pacing 'round like little boys do
And in his hands he held a pair of shoes

His clothes were worn and old, he was dirty from head to toe
And when it came his time to pay
I couldn't believe what I heard him say

Chorus:
Sir, I want to buy these shoes for my Mama, please
It's Christmas Eve and these shoes are just her size
Could you hurry, sir, Daddy says there's not much time
You see she's been sick for quite a while
And I know these shoes would make her smile
And I want her to look beautiful if Mama meets Jesus tonight

He counted pennies for what seemed like years
Then the cashier said, "Son, there's not enough here"
He searched his pockets frantically
Then he turned and he looked at me
He said Mama made Christmas good at our house
Though most years she just did without
Tell me Sir, what am I going to do,
Somehow I've got to buy her these Christmas shoes

So I laid the money down, I just had to help him out
I'll never forget the look on his face when he said
Mama's gonna look so great

Sir, I want to buy these shoes for my Mama, please
It's Christmas Eve and these shoes are just her size
Could you hurry, sir, Daddy says there's not much time
You see she's been sick for quite a while
And I know these shoes would make her smile
And I want her to look beautiful if Mama meets Jesus tonight

Bridge:
I knew I'd caught a glimpse of heaven's love
As he thanked me and ran out
I knew that God had sent that little boy
To remind me just what Christmas is all about

Repeat Chorus


No comments: