Saturday, September 02, 2006

Naturally Curly or Wavy Hair - More Than Just Hair...It's An Attitude


There was a little girl
Who had a little curl
Right in the middle of her forehead,
When she was good
She was very, very good,
But when she was bad,
She was horrid.
-- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

This is a special post for individuals, like myself who have naturally curly or wavy hair. If this is you,or someone you know the information shared here could be life changing... I'm very serious. You could be transformed from someone who spends their days trying to manage and control those curly locks to someone who celebrates their waves and curls. How? Read on....

"Curly hair is in your genes," I was always told, and is it ever evident. To this day when I attend a wedding or funeral and all of the relatives from my father's side of the family are seated in a concentrated area you can view the sea of curly headed men and women in every hair color ranging from the elderly to young babies just sporting that first curl on the tops of their heads. It is truly amazing to behold - in a facinating and yet comical way (and is often joked about at each family affair).

Like many others I have spent the majority of my life trying to tame unruly tresses, wishing I had beautiful straight hair like "so & so".

In elementary school I was busy dealing with tangled long curly/frizzy hair to prevent the formation of today's currently fashionable dreadlocks (there is a reason they are called dread locks folks). In junior and senior high the fashion rage was perfectly feathered hair that met in the exact middle of the back of your head. In order to achieve this effect, I had to spend hours each morning straightening, then recurling my hair and still never have it reach the "ideal look". Then leave for school only to have the rebellious curls come unleashed at the first hint of humidity, P.E. class, or sports practice after school. I purchased all the equipment, shampoos and potions; read Teen magazine for styling tips and visited salons where no one ever seemed to know how to cut or style curly/wavy hair - thay always treated it like it was straight, which it certainly was not. My junior year of high school I had my hair professionally straightened, only to have my head look like a large bell. Every morning was hours of work to style it to make myself presentable for the public.

College days were a bit more relaxed since there was more acceptance of variety than in my small home town, but still my hair was a nuisance most of the time whether it was short or long. As years passed by I became more accepting of it and with the task of motherhood it seemed a low priority to spend great amounts of time on.. still it would be nice to know WHAT to do with this hair!

Almost 2 years ago, my answer finally came. A friend of mine with a daughter in her mid twenties with very long curly hair had discovered a goldmine of a book called Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey (a true curly girl herself). Massey has written a book that encompasses every curly girl's stuggle with her hair - including her own personal story. Her book is filled with historical trivia on the subject, testimonies from curly girls and massive amounts of information every curly or wavy girl should be armed with. Massey is the owner of a salon in New York specializing in curly/wavy hair care. Curly Girls flock from around the country to have her do her magic on their hair - she really knows her stuff!

In her book she helps you to figure out what degree/style of curly or wavy hair you have and then tells you precisely how to care for it - including special cutting and coloring techniques. What's in the book you want to know? Well, I'll tell you what's not. There is no promotion of special products or goop to buy, no special machines or gizzmos - none, notta one! What it does contain is a process of hair care that it is so easy, so simple and requires so little time it will blow your mind - but not your hair (a hint on book content). Styling info & suggestions are also included to go with your new free curly look. There is also a chapter on the care of curly kids.

Okay, okay, you need an info tidbit to entice you te read it, do you? Alright...

Curly Girl Rule #1 - Never use shampoo on your hair.

WHAT! you scream, how can THAT be? It's true - I have not shampooed my hair for nearly 2 years and neither have several of my friends that started this hair care regime either. We are all clean and presentable - there is an alternative to shampooing - READ THE BOOK! It's a short read 139 pages - mostly photographs and if you can't get it at the library it costs under $10. I keep it in my bathroom next to my hair care supplies (which are few thanks to this book).

I have been so happy with the results I have personally had. My hair looks fuller and my curls look great with no frizz (on the days I do indeed "fix" my hair - I do have my lazy days too). I now have ways to style my hair that are easy, fast and look nice. I know how to deal with the notorious problem of curly ends, but flat head (no curls on the crown and no lift) and many more styling beasts that curly girl knights can now slay with a simple hair clips & gel. Of my friends that have tried the curly girl method, I have only heard rave reviews as well.

I challenge you to go to www.amazon.com and read the reviews posted on this book, there are 134 to date with a 4 1/2 star average rating. Also visit the curly girl page - a website especially for those using Lorraine Massey's book http://www.ylcf.org/gotcurl/ - you can even print out business cards there to invite other curly girls to learn about the method.

So how about it ?
Take the challenge and maybe you not only find your inner curl, but your inner girl!

No comments: